PDA

View Full Version : Things you can take to the track - help!

DebbieS
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi,

My husband and I will be attending our first Nascar race in Phoenix this weekend. :D

I have some questions for the experienced race goers about what we can take into the track, and what we can carry it in. :confused:

I'm quite perplexed about the 6"x6"x12" soft-sided bag rule. How strictly is that enforced? And where is the best place to find such a bag? It sounds about the size of a men's shaving travel bag... Does a 6-can soft-cooler fit the bill?

I found a sports "locker bag", that is about 8x8x16. and also a small backpack 4x7x16 plus straps. will either of those be allowed?

All info is much appreciated!!

thanks,
Debbie

racechaser101
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Any small softsided cooler should be fine. I use one the that I can fit a 12pack in plus ice. I hang my scanner out of the outer pocket and put my snacks in a plastic grocery bag and use a clip to attach it to the cooler. I have never had a problem. Just don't try to bring glass into the track. If you haven't bought one yet, Walmart, Target or anything type of sporting goods store should have plenty to choose from. I hope this helps you out.

DCNascarFan
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I have never been to PIR... but my experience at other tracks is that enforcement of the cooler size rule is pretty lax. They may search your cooler briefly, but no one is standing there with a ruler. Almost any reasonably sized soft-sided cooler will be just fine, in all likelihood. I think the unmentioned "courtesy" rule for fellow race fans is just make sure your cooler can fit underneath your seat as to not block the aisle.

I've always been told if a gate guard does give you some grief about size, just get out of line and try another gate, and another guard.

As for what you can bring in it - anything goes! Beer, beer, and more beer. (Unless for some reason the PIR rules are different than most tracks). We bring water and snacks as well.

Id invest in a soft-sided cooler with a decent water-tight liner so as your ice melts its not dripping all over you as you walk, or through the bleachers! Those plastic pre-filled freezer ice-cube thingies work well too! Wally World always seems to have a good selection of soft-sided coolers. For us, something that will only hold six cans just wont work! :twisted:

DCNascarFan
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Racechaser has a good point - no glass! That is a rule that's taken seriously.

DebbieS
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info!

Alas, PIR clearly states that no alcohol can be brought in. I do hope they will sell me some once I'm in there!

I was just concerned whether the 6x6x12 was absolute, or whether it was a guideline. So, from what I gather, I can bring all sorts of things, like cameras and binoculars, and seat cushions, and anything else non-glass that I can carry or sling around my neck. I just can't pack it all into one easy to carry bag?

It's a mad mad world we live in.

Debbie

DCNascarFan
04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
No alcohol brought in? PIR is off my list. :sad:

JMAC26
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
WOW!!!! no beer at a nascar race I agree with DC I am never going to PIR. Hey enjoy your weekend, hope it is a great race after having a weekend off.

-JMAC26

DebbieS
04-15-2009, 06:37 PM
It's hard to tell from the web site info - but it seems like no alcohol in the stands at all? There are a couple places listed to buy "drinks".

Anyone who's been to PIR have some info on what to expect?

thanks!
Debbie

JUNIORFAN88
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
It says no alchol on any PIR property but they will sell it BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to page 24
http://www.speedwaymaps.com/fanguide/phoenix09/

us2bfast
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Just a little addition we freeze bottled water and use that for cooling our beer down, instead of gel packs (never know when a tee shirt contest will break out) lots of track vendors will have clear bags to carry stuff in also. PS..... Have a GREAT TIME !!!!!!:):)

Mr BigBlock
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
No Alcohol guess i wont be making that trip funny thing is i bet you can buy it once your inside the track just a bunch of crap. Ive been to 10 races so far including Dega twice and still yet to see someone pissed out of thier mind at a race.

Buddlite
05-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Mr Big are you serious???????? I've been going to races for over 30 years, in the stands I have had drunks fall on me, dump their drinks on me, punk in the aisles, piss in empty bottles, get in fights. granted not an everyday occurance, but some crazy stuff happens when folks drink way too much, anywhere. I've found the nite races have a higher % of "overly drunk" folks, there are many more hours to drink before the race most likely the issue. I drink and party also, but know my limits, howver many do not and can ruin a race for others around them.

CdnGirl77
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I was at Vegas earlier this year and you're not able to bring beer or booze in there either. They sell it cheaper than any basketball or baseball game I've ever been to though. There were also tiki bars with margaritas, etc. once you were in the gates and a bar like the one in the fan zone at Daytona in the Neon Garage.

It was kinda nice to not have the cooler bag to carry but I had to add the beer into the daily budget. lol Atleast they sell it right at your seat and I was in the front row of the section so I didn't have to move for my drinks. ;)

I have one of those clear plastic backpacks to carry my camera, scanner, sweatshirt, snacks, etc. and I literally just turn around when I get to the checkpoint at the gate and let them have a look at the pack and I don't have to take it off and open it. They wear out easily though (I'm on my second one in three years) but for 20 bucks it's worth it in my opinion.

madfinnhockey
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
As an add-on to drinking at the race, a few years back at NHMS, some friends were sitting in front of a group that was partying hard in the stands. Before the 10th lap, one of the woman partiers threw up all over two of my friends who then had to leave the race, find a place to clean up, then had to return to their car for a change of clothing.... missed a lot of the race and ruined their day, and it was the first race (and last) they ever attended....

CdnGirl77
06-10-2009, 10:10 PM
If that had been me, there would have been bloodshed and more than a few choice words. I don't have patience for people who can't hold their liquor. Light weights. :rolleyes:

mikerobar
06-11-2009, 09:02 AM
If that had been me, there would have been bloodshed and more than a few choice words. I don't have patience for people who can't hold their liquor. Light weights. :rolleyes:

I agree - I start with a beer for breakfast when camping at races - but I know my limits - and it sure don't make much sense to shell out big bucks to go to a race you don't remember!!

Does anyone from up "north" know where to get one of those clear backpacks?

CdnGirl77
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
The guys camping next to me last year fixed up some Bloody Marys with brekkie on race day last fall while we huddled in the rain under the canopy. lol That was much more enjoyable than the usual beer!

I've ordered both of my clear backpacks from the Nascar Superstore at www.nascar.com (http://www.nascar.com) but they usually sell them at some of the driver's merchandise trailers at the track too.

Ground shipping usually isn't too bad and is still fairly quick and with the exchange rate getting better and better it's almost worth it to order online if you want it ahead of time.

Buddlite
06-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Mike not sure if you have Walmart or K Mart Target etc, but sometimes I find the clear backpacks there in the school sections and they are much cheaper

CdnGirl77
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
No Target or Kmart north of the border and Walmart doesn't usually carry them because the kids don't have to take clear packs to school like they do in some areas in the States.

I have a list of stores I hit once I get to Maine or New Hampshire - Target, Wal-Mart Supercentre (they put our's to shame), Victoria Secret, Petsmart (there aren't any in Moncton and the pooch needs a good boy present when I return) and LLBean.

Ike(KE5WDP)
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM
call me dull...i don't care...

As I read some of the older post on this thread, some people have said that the only reason why they won't attend a race at PIR is cuz of the rule that there is no alcohol allowed from the outside.

Let me ask y'all this, should it matter? Is alcohol mandatory? Can you sit through a race without drinking?

I am not bashing, but I am trying to figure out what is so great about drinking at a race.

I went to a local dirt track a few weeks ago, and I started talking to this fella. We were talking about what men talk about at a race. He went down and bought us both a beer. I am not a drinker. I felt if I did not drink this beer, it would insult him. So I drank the beer. He asked me later if I wanted another. I kindly said "no thanks".

I am a die hard racing fan. I know the sport. I study it. But I have never understood the fun that people have at entertainment events by drinking beer.

Hopefully I have not rubbed anybody wrong, but I would like some input.

CdnGirl77
06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, I've been to races and haven't drank because I was driving or because it was too damn cold. I'm a social drinker... it's the English/Irish/Scottish in me! :p I've never met a pub I didn't like. I'm single with a mortgage and bills to pay so work alot including OT. Most of my friends are married and/or have kids. We don't get to go out for girls nights and drinks on the patio as much as we used to.

When I go to the races, it's usually most of my vacation time each year, this year it's Vegas and Loudon. Therefore I'm going to chill out, de-stress and enjoy myself. That means having a few drinks during the race (except those damn US Coors Light just taste like water lol), and before and after depending on the people I meet up with.

I don't have to drink to enjoy a race but it enhances the experience just like having a scanner or getting pit passes do.

mikerobar
06-15-2009, 07:56 AM
No Target or Kmart north of the border and Walmart doesn't usually carry them because the kids don't have to take clear packs to school like they do in some areas in the States.

I have a list of stores I hit once I get to Maine or New Hampshire - Target, Wal-Mart Supercentre (they put our's to shame), Victoria Secret, Petsmart (there aren't any in Moncton and the pooch needs a good boy present when I return) and LLBean.

Thanks everyone - I'll hold off - we plan to buy our "supplies" on Thursday after arriving at the track and getting set up Wednesday night. Theres a Walmart Supercentre on the outskirts of Concord according to "W"'s website - so we'll try there. Do they sell beer????? Although I will be "smuggling" some Keith's across the border - lol!!!!!

CdnGirl77
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Imagine the size of the walk-in cooler room at the liquor store here and that's the size of the beer section at the Wal-Mart in Concord. Plus it's cheaper than home. They also have lots of Nascar merchandise there, there's a Subway onsite and all the groceries you could possibly need. Can you tell I've stopped there multiple times on my past trips? :mrgreen:

I think I might be bringing cans of Keith's or Moosehead with me because I drink the US Coors Light like it's water and don't get much of a buzz. But the Coors Light is sooooo much cheaper. Decisions, decisions...

madfinnhockey
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by CdnGirl77

So Cdngirl, you'll have to show us everything you bought at LLBean, Petsmart, and Victoria Secret!!!!!!

CdnGirl77
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice try... lol. I actually won $75 on the lotto Saturday night so I'll actually have the cash for a bit of shopping so we shall see. I might just buy a SHR First Win shirt at the track instead of the fun stuff!